Clippings (information artifacts)
Found in 14 Collections and/or Records:
Founded in 1880, the Beaumont Enterprise newspaper has served its local community for over one hundred and thirty years. This collection contains newspaper clippings and photographs from the paper, organized by subject. The bulk of the materials were created in the 1970's and 1980's.
Elmo Willard, III, was a leader of Beaumont's civil rights movement. He and his law partner, Theodore Johns, won cases for the desegregation of Beaumont's public parks and Lamar University. These papers include correspondence, legal documents, news clippings, and photographs.
Founded in 1872, the First Baptist Church of Beaumont, Texas, and its members, have contributed immensely to the religious, social, economic, and political life of the city. The records of the church include photographs, publications, administrative records, records of the Sunday School, and membership records.
Francis Norman Wagner, born in 1910, lived in Nederland and Port Arthur most of his life. He wrote two books about life in Southeast Texas, and so amassed a large collection of newspaper clippings on topics related to the area. These clippings, and some other personal files related to his involvement in the Rotary Club, are collected here.
Gwendolyn Wingate wrote extensively on the history of Beaumont and the history of immigrants who settled in Southeast Texas. This collection holds her research papers, personal and historical photographs, and correspondence. The topics of agriculture and genealogy are especially well covered.
Hugh Maxey Hargrove was born in Penn, Texas, in 1880 and lived in Waco before moving to Beaumont in 1909. He worked for the San Jacinto Life Insurance Company where he became president in 1918.
This collection contains photographs, professional documents, plaques and memorabilia pertaining to the life and career of Judge Al Gerson, who presided over the Jefferson County Court of Law Number One for twenty-seven years, from 1984 until his retirement in 2011.
The Sabine Oaks Home began as The Beaumont Home for the Aged founded by the United Church Women of Beaumont and chartered in 1944. The home was managed by a Board of Directors. In 1965 the Sabine Oaks Auxiliary was organized to address the needs of residents and help finance special projects. The collection consists of eight scrapbooks.
Ed and Myrtle Sprott reared five sons and four daughters in a house on Roberts Avenue in Beaumont, Texas. Each child worked their way through school. All nine sons and daughters earned college degrees. The collection consists of photographs, newspaper articles, and a compiled family history.
This collection holds papers from six generations of the Winter family, beginning with Ann Clarke, born in 1779. Over the course of these generations, the family moved from North Carolina, to Alabama, to Louisiana, to Missouri, and finally to Texas.