Beaumont Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) Records
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of organizational records and historical materials related to the Beaumont chapter of the YMCA dating from the years 1903 to 1999. The first part of the collection includes materials related to administration such as correspondence, by-laws, reports, meeting minutes, financial reports, and ledgers. The rest of the collection includes historical documents and photographs, photographs of various YMCA events and activities, and blueprints documenting proposed YMCA structures.
- Creation: 1903 - 1999
- Young Men’s Christian Association (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Some restrictions may apply.
Conditions Governing Use
The Tyrrell Historical Library holds copyright. The researcher must secure permission to publish. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the Tyrrell Historical Library. The researcher assumes full responsibility for complying with copyright, literary property rights, and libel laws.
The Beaumont branch of the Young Men's Christian Organization was formed in 1901 following the discovery of oil at Spindletop and the subsequent population boom. In 1928, YMCA membership was growing quickly and a new building was constructed at 934 Calder St. which featured a swimming pool and dormitories in addition to gymnasiums and conference rooms. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Throughout the 20th century, the Beaumont YMCA served as an important community center and continuously fundraised in order to open new locations and complexes. In 2010, while construction was underway on a new building located on Dishman Road, the YMCA filed for bankruptcy in the Eastern District of Texas.
Language of Materials
The Beaumont branch of the Young Men's Christian Organization was formed in 1901 following the discovery of oil at Spindletop and the subsequent population boom. Throughout the 20th century, the Beaumont YMCA served as an important community center and continuously fundraised in order to open new locations and complexes. This collection consists of organizational records and historical materials related to the Beaumont chapter of the YMCA dating from the years 1903 to 1999.
This collection is organized into 16 series, arranged loosely by function or form and based on original order of the material.
Series 1: Correspondence, 1907-1981
Series 2: Administrative Records, 1929-1982
Series 3: Programs, 1930-1980
Series 4: Building Contracts and Deeds, 1917-1977
Series 5: Membership and Annual Reports, 1923-1968
Series 6: Organizational Records, 1903-1984
Series 7: Meeting Minutes, 1925-1962
Series 8: Daily Minutes, 1920-1963
Series 9: Scrapbooks, 1929-1972
Series 10: Financial Records, 1942-1984
Series 11: L.L. Melton Photographs, Youth Activities, 1974-1999
Series 12: Historical Materials, 1929-1989
Series 13: General Photographs, 1920-1989
Series 14: Oversize Materials, 1930-1969
Series 15: Blueprints, 1928-1979, undated
Series 16: Artifacts, undated
Genre / Form
- Annual reports
- Business records
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Financial records
- Ledgers (account books)
- Membership lists
- Minutes (administrative records)
- Newspaper clippings
- Finding Aid for the YMCA Records, 1903-1999
- Jennifer Perritt
- July 27, 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Tyrrell Historical Library Archives Repository