Skip to main content

Beaumont Altrusa Club Records

 Collection
Identifier: AC-047

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of correspondence, regular meetings and board of directors minutes, organizational records, president's reports, yearbooks, Nineteenth District material, scrapbooks, The Picayune, other publications, the International Altrusan, photographs, and ephemera. The researcher will find the club minutes comprehensive and enlightening, providing information on club activities and financial conditions. The International Altrusan is the official publication of the National Association of Altrusa Clubs of the United States. The collection also contains several scrapbooks that recount annual club activities through newspaper clippings, photographs and yearbooks.

Dates

  • 1930 - 1996

Conditions Governing Access

No restrictions apply.

Conditions Governing Use

The Tyrrell Historical Library holds copyright. The researcher must secure permission to publish. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the Tyrrell Historical Library. The researcher assumes full responsibility for complying with copyright, literary property rights, and libel laws.

Biographical / Historical

A group of women established the Altrusa Club on April 11, 1917 in Nashville, Tennessee, as the first women's classified service club. The founders designed the organization as a "main channel through which women leaders in business and the professions can work together as an effective service force to help solve community and world problems and promote understanding among all people." Only one representative of a specific business or profession could join the organization. The international organization operates through several committees to administer the club's Founders Fund Vocational Aid and the Grants in Aid program. In its long years of service to the community, the Beaumont Altrusa Club has been involved in numerous philanthropic activities.

Extent

17 cubic feet (1 box) (17 boxes, 15 scrapbook volumes)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

A group of women established the Altrusa Club on April 11, 1917 in Nashville, Tennessee, as the first women's classified service club. The founders designed the organization as a "main channel through which women leaders in business and the professions can work together as an effective service force to help solve community and world problems and promote understanding among all people." This collection consists of correspondence, regular meetings and board of directors minutes, organizational records, president's reports, yearbooks, Nineteenth District material, scrapbooks, The Picayune, other publications, the International Altrusan, photographs, and ephemera.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged into 15 series.

Series 1: Scrapbooks, 1933-1996

Series 2: Correspondence, 1972-1980

Series 3: Meeting Minutes, 1930-1984

Series 4: Membership, 1930-1974

Series 5: Financial Records, 1972-1974

Series 6: Administrative Material, 1930-1980

Series 7: Scholarships, 1935-1956

Series 8: Audit Records, 1931-1974

Series 9: President's Records, 1940-1973

Series 10: Yearbooks, 1930-1983

Series 11: Conventions and Conferences, 1932-1974

Series 12: The Picayune, 1954-1989

Series 13: International Altrusan, 1930-1967

Series 14: Board Meetings and Reports, 1951-1967

Series 15: Assorted Material, 1930-1991

Title
Finding Aid for the Beaumont Altrusa Club Records, 1930-1996
Author
Jennifer Perritt
Date
June 15, 2020
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Tyrrell Historical Library Archives Repository

Contact: