Skip to main content

David Hoffman Papers

 Collection
Identifier: AC-652

Scope and Content Note

This collection contains two photograph albums with black-and-white and color photographs and a small grouping of color slides.

Dates

  • 1989-1990

Creator

Language of Materials

Materials are in English.

Access Restrictions

Some restrictions may apply.

Copyright

The Tyrrell Historical Library does not hold copyright for most of its collections. The researcher must secure permission to publish. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the Tyrrell Historical Library. The researcher assumes full responsibility for complying with copyright, literary property rights, and libel laws.

Historical Note

The building located at 695 Pearl Street in Beaumont, Texas, was originally built in 1903 and served as the home of First Baptist Church of Beaumont. The architect who designed the building was Alonzo N. Dawson of Fort Worth, a specialist in public buildings. It was a stone building in the Romanesque style enriched with Norman and Gothic elements. It is said to hint of France or Germany in the Middle Ages. Its stonework is exceptional with massive stone blocks placed in simple, straight lines and with towers, pointed arch gables and large rose windows. In 1924 the building was donated to the City of Beaumont by Captain W.C. Tyrrell, a Beaumont oil man and philanthropist. The building was given the name Tyrrell Public Library and served as the main library for over fifty years. When a new public library was constructed in 1975, the Tyrrell became a research library with archives and collections in genealogy, Texas history and local history. During this period, the building suffered decline and deterioration. With over $1.6 million provided by the City and the Tyrrell Historical Library Association, the building was completely restored and renovated in 1989 – 1990. The architect for the restoration was David Hoffman of Austin who was assisted by Milton Bell of Beaumont. The contractor was H.B. Neild & Sons, Inc. and the job superintendent was Gerald Fountain. The building reopened on July 29, 1990.

Extent

1 Cubic Feet (1 cubic foot in 1 box)

Abstract

This is a collection of photographs and slides which show before and after conditions of the Beaumont Historical Library located at 695 Pearl Street in Beaumont, Texas, while the building was being restored and renovated in the years 1989 – 1990. Also included are photographs of the building when it was the First Baptist Church of Beaumont and when it was the main building of the Beaumont Public Library. There are a few photographs of buildings in Sabine Pass. David Hoffman, FAIA was the Design Architect during the renovation process. Mr. Hoffman’s firm, David Hoffman & Co. Architects and Consultants is an architectural firm located in Austin, Texas, which was formed in 1987 and which specializes in the restoration and preservation of historic sites.

Organization of Collection

The collection is organized into folders of slides taken by David Hoffman as work on the building progressed and folders containing pages from photograph albums created by Mr. Hoffman.

Acquisition Information

Donated by David Hoffman in 2014 November.

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Related Material

None.

Separated Material

None.

Processing Information

Processed by Tyrrell Historical Library staff, 2015 January.

Finding aid revised and encoded by Tyrrell Historical Library staff, 2015 April.
Title
Finding Aid for the David Hoffman Papers, 1989-1990
Author
Tyrrell Historical Library Staff
Date
2015 April 20
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Tyrrell Historical Library Archives Repository

Contact: