Skip to main content

John Dollinger, Jr., Incorporated Records

Identifier: AC-604

Scope and Content Note

This collection consists of 27 boxes arranged in the order of five series and then eight subseries. The series arrangement includes the following: 50th Anniversary Celebration; Project Work, that contains photographs and newspaper articles on Dollinger products; Administrative Records; Miscellaneous Files; and Company Artifacts. The Administrative Records series is broken down further into five subseries that include the following: Financial and Legal Records; Stockholder and Board of Director Meeting Minutes; Labor and Union Files; Asset Files; and Equipment Contracts. A section of particular importance found within the collection are photographs of Dollinger construction work projects contained in the Project Work series. These photographs were completed for clients of various industries and document the unique work accomplished by the steel fabrication company over the many years that it was in operation. Of additional interest are the records related to the Dollinger's 50th anniversary celebration in 1952, and the records pertaining to Dollinger's negotiations with Local Chapter No. 587 of the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers.


  • Creation: 1890s-1995


Language of Materials

Materials are in English.

Access Restrictions

Some restrictions may apply.


The Tyrrell Historical Library holds copyright. The researcher must secure permission to publish. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the Tyrrell Historical Library. Although the donor transferred the copyright of the collection, copyright of some specific items may still be held by their respective creator(s). For further information, contact the Tyrrell. The researcher assumes full responsibility for complying with copyright, literary property rights, and libel laws.

Historical Note

In August of 1902, John Dollinger, Jr., founded the Plaquemine Boiler and Sheet Metal Works in Plaquemine, Louisiana. The plant catered to the repair of boilers and other equipment used in the sugar refining industry located in the area. In 1907, a depression struck Louisiana, prompting Dollinger to relocate his business to Beaumont, Texas, where he established a boiler shop. Business began to boom, supported first by the oil refineries of the region, and later by the lumber and rice industries situated nearby. After the Beaumont ship channel opened in 1916, Dollinger began to perform marine boiler and fuel oil tank repairs. The company was incorporated on May 2, 1917, in the state of Texas under the name of John Dollinger, Jr., Inc.

In 1923, Dollinger purchased in Beaumont 11.5 acres at the north end of 7th Street and constructed there a new, larger manufacturing plant. The company survived the Great Depression of the 1930's thanks to the business it had built up during the 1920's, and through careful management. During World War II, it contributed to the war effort by producing component parts for destroyers and other shipping, and by making structures for 100-octane aviation gasoline units. Then in 1941, John Dollinger, Jr., passed away and his son, Charles Rouse ("Chick") Dollinger, Sr., became president of the company. After the war, the company continued to expand, opening a plant in Gonzales, Texas, and operating an affiliated company known as Dollinger Steel of Louisiana. The steel fabrication company reached its zenith of output in the 1980's. The Beaumont-based plant was finally sold and closed in 1995.


26.5 Cubic Feet (26.5 cubic feet in 29 boxes)


The John Dollinger, Jr., Company moved in 1907 to Beaumont, Texas, from Plaquemine, Louisiana, where it quickly became a local leader in the steel fabrication industry until its closure in 1995.


The records of the Dollinger Company in Beaumont span the time period from 1907 to 1995. Included in the records are photographs, asset files, meeting minutes, contracts, assorted administrative records, and company artifacts.

Organization of Collection

This collection is organized into five series and then eight subseries. In most instances the original filing system order of arrangement was retained in the final processing of the records.

Acquisition Information

Donated by John E. "Jed" Dollinger and Jerry Dollinger in 2011 August.


Further accruals are expected.

Related Material

Eastern Texas Electric Company Collection, 1924-1925, 1929.

AC-220, The Gulf States Utilities Collection, 1925-1993.

AC-162, Industrial Maps and Aerial Views of Jefferson County, 1965-1967.

AC-196, Roy Towell, Jr., "Doing Business in Beaumont" Collection, 1993 (Content: 1938-1992).


Processing Information

Processed by Tyrrell Historical Library Staff.

Finding aid revised and encoded by Tyrrell Historical Library Staff, 2012 July.

Finding Aid for the John Dollinger Jr., Incorporated Records, 1890s-1995
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Tyrrell Historical Library Archives Repository