Hugh Maxey Hargrove Papers
Scope and Content Note
The collection consists of photographs, newspaper clippings and a menu.
- Hargrove, Hugh Maxey, 1880-1943 (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Some restrictions may apply.
The Tyrrell Historical Library does not hold copyright for most of its collections. The researcher must secure permission to publish. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the Tyrrell Historical Library. The researcher assumes full responsibility for complying with copyright, literary property rights, and libel laws.
Hugh Maxey Hargrove was born in Penn, Texas, in 1880 and lived in Waco before moving to Beaumont in 1909. He worked for with the San Jacinto Life Insurance Company where he became president in 1918. This small collection contains 12 photographs and 6 newspaper clippings documenting the construction of the San Jacinto Building and its dedication in 1923 and 1924. The building is 15 stories tall and supports a large clock tower on top. Each clock dial is 17 feet in diameter. The collection also includes a menu from the opening of the Petroleum Room in the Edson Hotel, April 29, 1935.
.10 Cubic Feet (.10 cubic feet (1 folder))
Hugh Maxey Hargrove was born in Penn, Texas, in 1880 and lived in Waco before moving to Beaumont in 1909. He worked for the San Jacinto Life Insurance Company where he became president in 1918.
Organization of Collection
This collection is organized into 3 series.
Donated by Mr. and Mrs. W.P. Hargrove, 1991 July.
No further accruals are expected.
Processed by Tyrrell Historical Library staff, 2015 June.
Finding aid revised and encoded by Tyrrell Historical Library staff, 2015 June.
- Anniversaries Subject Source: Searslocal
- Architecture Subject Source: Searslocal
- Beaumont (Jefferson county, Texas : inhabited place) Subject Source: Searslocal
- Buildings Subject Source: Searslocal
- Business enterprises Subject Source: Searslocal
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Governors Subject Source: Searslocal
- Hargrove, Hugh Maxey
- Hargrove, Virginia
- Hobby, William P.
- Hotels and motels Subject Source: Searslocal
- Howard Clock and Watch Company
- Maunscripts (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Restaurants Subject Source: Searslocal
- San Jacinto Life Insurance Company
- Stark, Lutcher
- Finding Aid for the Hugh Maxey Hargrove Papers, 1923-1935
- Tyrrell Historical Library Staff
- 2015 June 09
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Tyrrell Historical Library Archives Repository