Abescoe Club Records
Scope and Content Note
This collection consists of photographs and newsletters.
- Abescoe Club (Organization)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Some restrictions may apply.
The Tyrrell Historical Library does not hold copyright for most of its collections. The researcher must secure permission to publish. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the Tyrrell Historical Library. The researcher assumes full responsibility for complying with copyright, literary property rights, and libel laws.
On May 23, 1949, a new Abescoe Club was formed at a meeting at the Edson Hotel in Beaumont, Texas. This club of Bethlehem Shipyard employees took its name from “A Better Social Club of Employees” and was created to promote social activities for employees of the company. The social activities were designed to promote friendship, fellowship and understanding among the different departments and groups of employees in the company, thereby promoting cooperation among all employees. The membership entrance fee was set at $1.00 and monthly dues were $.50. This small collection of records includes the “Abescoe News” newsletters from 1949 – 1958 (only partially inclusive) as well as approximately 400 photographs of club activities.
1.25 Cubic Feet (1.25 cubic feet in three boxes.)
The Abescoe Club was a social club for Bethlehem Shipyard employees and was created to promote social activities for employees of the company. The collection includes the “Abescoe News” newsletters from 1949 – 1958 (only partially inclusive) as well as approximately 400 photographs of club activities.
Organization of Collection
This collection is arranged in folders according to type of material and then subject matter.
Donated by Rowena Hendrix, 1992 April.
No further accruals are expected.
Processed by Tyrrell Historical Library staff, 2015 March.
Finding aid revised and encoded by Tyrrell Historical Library staff, 2015 May.
- Amusements Subject Source: Searslocal
- Associations Subject Source: Searslocal
- Beaumont (Jefferson county, Texas : inhabited place) Subject Source: Searslocal
- Bethlehem Steel Shipyards
- Clubs Subject Source: Searslocal
- Crooke, J.O.
- Employees Subject Source: Searslocal
- Friendship Subject Source: Searslocal
- LeBlanc, J.H.
- Mack, C.
- Newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Recreation Subject Source: Searslocal
- Sandefer, J.B.
- Shipbuilding Subject Source: Searslocal
- Social groups Subject Source: Searslocal
- Social networks Subject Source: Searslocal
- Spell, Earl
- Wallace, Faynelle
- Witcher, L.D.
- York, Margie
- Finding Aid for the Abescoe Club Records, 1949-1958
- Tyrrell Historical Library Staff
- 2015 June 1
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Tyrrell Historical Library Archives Repository