Clyde Vincent Papers
Scope and Content Note
This collection includes birth, marriage, and death records back to the 1600's collected from France and Canada as well as books and articles explaining the migration of the Acadian people from France to Canada and later from Canada to Louisiana and Texas. Photographs and oral histories describe the lifestyle of early Cajun residents and the industries which brought them to East Texas. Research and articles on genetic diseases affecting people of Acadian ancestry are also included. Genealogical research on various families from Port Neches and the surrounding area make-up a large part of the collection. Business and membership records for Les Acadianes du Texas, the group founded by Mr. Vincent, include rosters, correspondence, tour itineraries, photographs, and financial records. Cajun music by local artists and club events are found recorded on various video cassettes and CDs in the collection.
- Vincent, Clyde, 1925-2014 (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Some restrictions may apply.
The Tyrrell Historical Library does not hold copyright for the collection. The researcher must secure permission to publish. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the Tyrrell Historical Library. The researcher assumes full responsibility for complying with copyright, literary property rights, and libel laws.
Clyde Vincent was a Cajun genealogist who grew up in the "Little Abbeville" neighborhood of Port Neches, Texas. He collected stories, photographs, genealogical records and oral histories in order to become more connected to his Cajun roots and to keep Cajun traditions alive. In 1979 he formed a Cajun cultural club and served as its president for 30 years. The club, which was named Les Acadianes du Texas toured France and Canada in search of genealogical records and cultural information. The members restored an authentic Cajun house – circa 1810 for display at Port Neches Riverfront Park.
13.5 Cubic Feet (13.5 cubic feet in 15 boxes)
Clyde Vincent was a lifelong resident of Port Neches, Texas, who did extensive research on the cultural and historic heritage of the Acadian people of East Texas. He founded an organization called Les Arcadians du Texas which sponsored a choral group, tours to France and Canada, and the restoration of an authentic Acadian house. He also compiled genealogical information and engaged in efforts to preserve the Cajun language and culture. This collection includes genealogical records, photographs, club business records, historic and scientific data from books, newspapers, and oral history recordings. Several of the boxes in the collection contain VHS tapes, DVDs, and other audiovisual material.
Organization of Collection
This collection is organized into 15 boxes.
Donated by Clyde Vincent, 2014 April.
Further accruals are not expected.
Mr. Vincent also donated approximately two hundred genealogy books to the Tyrrell Historical Library. These are kept in the genealogy department of the library. Each book has a bookplate in it denoting its donation by Mr. Vincent.
Processed by Tyrrell Historical Library staff, 2014 June.
Finding aid revised and encoded by Tyrrell Historical Library staff, 2014 June.
- Acadians Subject Source: Searslocal
- Books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Cajuns Subject Source: Searslocal
- Canada (North America, World : nation) Subject Source: Searslocal
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- France (Europe, World : Nation) Subject Source: Searslocal
- Genealogy Subject Source: Searslocal
- Government records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- History Subject Source: Searslocal
- Les Acadianes du Texas
- Louisiana (United States, North America : state) Subject Source: Searslocal
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pamphlets Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Poems Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Port Neches (Jefferson county, Texas : inhabited place) Subject Source: Searslocal
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Songs (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Vincent, Clyde, 1925-2014
- Finding Aid for the Clyde Vincent Papers, 1600-2014
- Tyrrell Historical Library Staff
- 2014 June 25
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Tyrrell Historical Library Archives Repository