Camp Fire Girls Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains records, scrapbooks, and memorabilia related to Camp Fire Girls U.S.A., as well as the local chapter and Camp Niwana. The records are comprised primarily of administrative records related to the management of Camp Niwana and the local chapter of Camp Fire. The scrapbooks contain photos, camper activity sheets, newspaper clippings, and artwork created by the donor, Bitsy Barr, and other past campers, as well. Furthermore, there is a large series of crafts created by various campers over the years. Finally, the collection contains several Camp Fire Girl uniforms and Camp Fire badges and pins.
Conditions Governing Use
The Tyrrell Historical Library holds copyright. The researcher must secure permission to publish. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the Tyrrell Historical Library. The researcher assumes full responsiblity for complying with copyright, literary property rights, and libel laws.
Biographical / Historical
Camp Fire USA was founded by Luther Halsey Gulick, M.D. and his wife, Charlotte Gulick in 1910. The organization was formed, in part, as a response to the Boy Scouts and the lack of a similar group for girls at that time. The Gulicks also established Camp WoHeLo (Work, Health, Love) as a camp for girls in South Casco, Maine, and the group formally became the Camp Fire Girls in 1912. That same year, Camp Fire Girls of America would be formally recognized as a national agency in Washington, D.C. The focus of the organization was camping, outdoor activity, and community service. Another influence of the Camp Fire Organization was Native American culture, as seen in the camp names, ceremonies, and badge symbols. Camp Fire USA was originally a girls' organization, but it eventually grew to include boys in 1975.
The Beaumont Council of Camp Fire Girls was founded in 1938, but did not have a local camp until 1952. Prior to this, the local camp fire girls camped with the Port Arthur group at Camp Waluta. In 1951, the council finally purchased land to build their camp due to the efforts of Mr. Haskell Porter. Construction began in 1951, and the camp opened for its first season in 1952, though there was limited space. The camp’s name was chosen through submitted names from local camp fire girls. The name “Niwana” was eventually chosen, meaning misty lakes among the trees and hills.
21 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Camp Fire USA was founded by Luther Halsey Gulick, M.D. and his wife, Charlotte Gulick in 1910. The organization was formed, in part, as a response to the Boy Scouts and the lack of a similar group for girls at that time. The purpose of the organization was to promote personal and community growth through camping and outdoor activities. The local camp in Beaumont, Texas was founded in 1951-52 by the Beaumont Council of Camp Fire Girls. This collection was donated by Bitsy Barr, who attended Camp Niwana as both a Camp Fire Girl, as well as a staff member. Much of this collection contains crafts and memorabilia belonging to Mrs. Barr, as well as other campers.
Series 1: Administrative
Series 2: Guides
Series 3: Camp Niwana
Series 4: Scrapbooks
Series 5: Personal Campfire Collections
Series 6: Magazines and Publications
Series 7: Books
Series 8: Sales Materials
Series 9: Crafts
Series 10: Awards/Plaques
Series 11: Oversize Scrapbooks
Series 12: Flags
Series 13: Media
Series 14: Memorabilia
Series 15: Uniforms
- Beadwork Subject Source: Sears
- Camp Fire Girls Subject Source: Sears
- Camping Subject Source: Sears
- Camps Subject Source: Sears
- Crafts Subject Source: Sears
- Outdoor Life Subject Source: Sears
- Outdoor Recreation Subject Source: Sears
- Finding Aid for Camp Fire Girls Collection
- Sarah Grimm, Archivist
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Tyrrell Historical Library Archives Repository