Harry Potter Jirou Papers
Scope and Content Note
The collection contains Harry Potter Jirou scrapbook pages and memorabilia, a 1938 Boy Scout manual, an Eastman Kodak Company Folding Cartridge Premo camera, and photographs of Beaumont, Boy Scouting, and the Jirou / Hutchison family. It contains some of the best early Beaumont images available.
- Creation: 1888-1949
- Jirou, Harry Potter, 1883-1947 (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Some restrictions may apply.
The Tyrrell Historical Library does not hold copyright for most of its collections. The researcher must secure permission to publish. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the Tyrrell Historical Library. The researcher assumes full responsibility for complying with copyright, literary property rights, and libel laws.
Harry P. Jirou (1883-1947) was a life-long resident of Beaumont, Texas. He was a certified public accountant and engaged in the real estate business. Mr. Jirou also served twelve years as executive secretary of the community chest. In addition, Mr. Jirou was an avid photographer who took many of the now historical photographs of early Spindletop. Among his many civic functions, Mr. Jirou was a prominent Boy Scout leader, and was one of few scout masters to receive the Scoutmaster's Key for outstanding work in all fields of scout activities. In 1929, he was the leader of a group of sixteen scouts from Beaumont which attended the Boy Scouts International Jamboree in Birkenhead, England.
0.93 Cubic Feet (0.93 cubic feet and one artifact in three boxes)
This collection contains many photographs taken by Harry P. Jirou, who was a Beaumont area amateur photographer. The photographs document many early scenes of Beaumont, his personal interest in the Boy Scouts as a scout master, views of well-known landmarks in and around Beaumont, and early technological feats that took place in Beaumont. The photographs span a time period from 1888 through to the 1930's. The collection also includes memorabilia and correspondence, as well as newspaper clippings commemorating events important in his life.
Organization of Collection
This collection is organized into 13 folders and one artifact box.
Originally donated by Mary Katherine Jirou Davies, daughter of Harry Potter Jirou, in 1991. Later additions were made in 1995 and 2006.
No further accruals are expected.
Processed by Tyrrell Historical Library staff.
Finding aid revised and encoded by Tyrrell Historical Library staff, 2012 August.
- Bass, Brinkley (1916-1944) (Person)
- Carter, Daniel, National Scout Commissioner (Person)
- Jirou, Harry Potter (1883-1947) (Person)
- Jirou, Hazel Odessa J. Hutchinson (1888-1949) (Person)
- Webber, Frank C. (Person)
- Windsor, Edward David, Prince of Wales (1894-1972) (Person)
- Beaumont, Ice, Light, and Refrigerating Company (Beaumont, Tex.) (Organization)
- Beaumont Furniture Company (Beaumont, Tex.) (Organization)
- Beaumont Light Guards (Organization)
- Boy Scouts of America (Beaumont, Tex.) (Organization)
- Cosby House Dining Room (Beaumont, Tex.) (Organization)
- Edson Hotel Coffee Shop (Beaumont, Tex.) (Organization)
- Enloe Hotel (Beaumont, Tex.) (Organization)
- First Baptist Church (Beaumont, Tex.) (Organization)
- Reliable Furniture Company (Beaumont, Tex.) (Organization)
- Szafir's Bookstore (Beaumont, Tex.) (Organization)
- United States Military (Organization)
- Woman's Club of Beaumont (Beaumont, Tex.) (Organization)
Genre / Form
- Artifacts (camera)
- Newspaper clippings
- Picture postcards
- Scrapbooks, loose-leaf
- Airplanes--Fairchild 22
- Airplanes--Taylor Cub
- Airports--Beaumont Municipal Airport (Beaumont, Tex.)
- Boy Scouts--Beaumont, Tex.
- Boy Scouts--International Jamboree, 1929 (Birkenhead, England)
- Buildings--Beaumont, Tex.
- Camps--Camp Mabry (Manassas, Va.)
- Camps--Rio Frio Boys Camp (Rio Frio, Tex.)
- Carriages and carts
- Church--Buildings (Beaumont, Tex.)
- City and towns--Beaumont, Tex.
- Fire engines--History (Beaumont, Tex.)
- Kodak camera--Eastman Kodak Folding Cartridge Premo
- Neches River (Beaumont, Tex.)
- Ports--Beaumont, Tex.
- Railroads--Beaumont, Tex.
- Schools--Averill School (Beaumont, Tex.)
- Ships--Beaumont, Tex.
- Street railroads--Beaumont, Tex.
- World War, 1939-1945
- Finding Aid for the Harry Potter Jirou Papers, 1888-1949
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Tyrrell Historical Library Archives Repository